12th to 20th October 2018

St Luke's Church, Simonsbath

St Luke's Church, Simonsbath, Minehead TA24 7SH

Parking   Disabled parking up the church drive, otherwise on the road, or in the public (NT) car park just down the hill.
Toilets    In the NT car park 
Food      Exmoor Forest Inn (01643 831341)
             Boeveys Restaurant, Simonsbath Hotel (01643  831622)

The parish church of St Luke was constructed after the parish of Exmoor was created in 1856 out of the old Royal Forest. It is a plain building constructed out of grey stone in an Early English style with big lancet windows. It has a south porch, nave and chancel. The west wall and its bell turret are completely slate-hung. All furnishings are Victorian. There is a tablet to the 5th Earl Fortescue and his wife, 'Erected by their Employees, Friends and Tennants in the parish of Exmoor', and a stained glass east window is a memorial to the parishioners killed in World War 1. Sir Frederic Knight, his wife and son are buried in the churchyard. The first vicar was a Reverend William Henry Thornton.

View location