13th to 21st October 2017

St George’s Church Hall,Tiverton

St George's Hall is accessed from Becks Square,

Parking  Beck’s Square (EX16 6PJ), West Exe South, Market Place & Phoenix Lane multi-storey car parks.
Toilets   In the Hall
Food     In 2017 there is supper available at the concert. Otherwise there are various locations in the town. 

Near the main shopping centre in Tiverton stands this example of Georgian church architecture, said by some to be the finest in Devon.The church was designed by John James, Sir Christopher Wren’s chief carpenter at St Paul’s Cathedral, who went on to design a number of churches and impressive buildings.

The foundation stone of ‘St George’s Chapel’ (as it was then known) was laid on 1 December 1714 - a period of great uncertainty after the reign of Queen Anne. Led by the then Rector of St Peter’s, Tiverton, Revd John Newte, it was proposed to serve the many in the town who may face persecution should a particular act of law be passed. The law was never passed and so its urgency diminished, and after being vacant for some time it was completed in 1730, the first service taking place on January 1 1731.

The church was eventually consecrated on 11 October 1733. Another milestone in its history was in 1889 when, along with St Paul’s, it became a parish with its own vicar.

You might be interested to know....

The stained glass window at the East end of the church, depicting St Andrew, was installed in 1845, the design being copied from a window at Wells Cathedral.
There is a commemoration of Revd Samuel Wesley, sometime headmaster of Blundell’s School and brother of the more better-known John & Charles Wesley who founded the Methodist Church
The grave of Hannah Cowley, an 18th Century playwright of some repute, is in the churchyard
The churchyard also has the grave of Ann Clark, a midwife who died in 1733 having delivered some 5,000 babies!
The graveyard was closed for burials in 1900.